1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crusty chick butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momof2ajof2, Apr 21, 2016.

1. momof2ajof2

momof2ajof2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    North Carolina
    Im just curious as to what would cause a chicks butt to get crusted with poo? The chick in question is approx 3 weeks old, maybe a tic younger and has been fine up until today when i noticed the poo was crusted up. They get fresh water several times daily and are eating chick starter. Is it something im doing wrong or not giving them?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's called "pasty butt", an unglamorous term for a serious condition, usually occurring in the first week, but it can happen over the first month, also. It's often caused by a too-hot brooder.

If your chicks are three weeks old, the spot under their heat lamp should be no warmer than 75-80F, and the rest of the brooder much, much cooler.

3. momof2ajof2

momof2ajof2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    North Carolina

I couldnt remember the term pasty butt to save my life. It was on the tip of my tongue. Thank you for your answer! I cleaned her up and will now be keeping watch on her and the rest of them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by