crusty chicks.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fowlwoman1, May 22, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    does this mean high humidity during incubation? not every one of them is this way, but more than half.

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Crusty as in goo stuck to their fluff, or crusty as in pasty butt?

3. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    if it's the egg goo,I would probably say too low humidity. Some of mine get that if they have trouble getting out of the shell.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    And if they are goopy coming out of the incubator, it may take them a couple days to fluff out once they start their baby grooming habits.

I would only intervene if the goop is covering their eyes/face OR if it was on their rears, or big pieces of shell, etc.

Then a warm wash cloth to loosten up the goop, gently rub it away and right back under the warm lamp.

5. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    it's goo all over them that has dried and it is hard and it's on their faces, too.

6. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I had one come out like this - and he was being picked on by the rest of the crew - so I made a mini brooder in with my 4 week olds with a plastic bin - I hope he will be okay. No crust around his eyes so I am waiting to see how he does.

Louella

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've made little shoebox brooders for them before inside the big brooder box where I can keep an eye on them and they can still hear the other chicks...works well for a day or so til you know they can make in with the others...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by