Crusty, closed eyes, some missing neck feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenteacher2, Mar 9, 2013.

1. chickenteacher2

chickenteacher2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    Help! Both my broodies I think have a respiratory infection, but it seems to only be near their eyes. They don't smell, no goo coming out of anywhere. Crusty eyes, sometimes closed crusted. Then, their chin/neck feathers on the silkie and the top/eye feathers on the mix hen are thinning out and coming off???

The roos I had (culled them for multiple reasons), had lice, clearly. All beds and nest boxes have been cleaned, bleached, and dusted with the permethrin garden dust. Most of the girls (inculding the silkie) have been bathed in flea/tick type shampoo and dusted. Have NOT seen any bugs on any of the girls. It, also, has been weird weather here lately, both cold and warm.

The eggs never hatched. I isolated the silkie, since she's never been sick before. The other one, did have this before when she was broody months ago. I put the vetericyn on her eyes and it got better. I'm trying that, plus some tetracycline in the silkie's water, plus some electrolytes and some bagbalm cream on her crusty looking skin.

I've been reading thread after thread. I am a chicken hypochondriac mama....cannot figure out what is going on around here. Any ideas? I can post of pic of my silkie tomorrow.

2. chickenteacher2

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    Anybody?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Tylan is what people use for respiratory ailments. Injectable is better. How old are they and when did you get them?

4. chickenteacher2

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    I hatched her. She's doing better today. Eating and drinking, squawking. She looked better, so I went to put her outside, but the hens ran up and attacked her viciously, so I quicked grabbed her up and put her back in the garage. I looked for bugs again, any signs, none. I dusted her again, put vetericyn in her eye and some bag balm ointment on her chin. I really hope I don't have to put her down. Outside, without hens around, she was holding her head low, shaking and bowing and backing up repeatedly. It was weird.

The other hen is molting, that's why she looks gross and left the eggs unattended. I dusted her, too, just in case.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    i highly recommend for respitory illness tylan50 injectable for bamtams 1/4 cc once a day for 5 days its stronger and faster than water soluable antinotic. if she we're mine id try that.

6. chickenteacher2

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    [​IMG]

Best picture I could get with holding her and doing the camera. The yellow stuff is the ointment I put there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by