1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crusty eggshell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by taliadm12, Apr 17, 2017.

1. taliadm12

taliadm12 New Egg

Apr 17, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure what's going on with these eggs? One with what seems to be extra "crusty/crumbly" shell and then another today with the same issue except I noticed a small "hole" and when I touched it the "crusty/crumbly" part just came off? Help please!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well some hens lay "deformed" eggs and some of those grow out of it. Just do not mix oyster shells with their feed----you can have some in a dish some where if you want.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. taliadm12

taliadm12 New Egg

Apr 17, 2017
    I was also thinking calcium deposits based on some previous research I did. I add an egg layer supplement mix to their feed, wondering if I should leave that out for a bit? It only seems to be happening with one of our hens so I'd hate to be leaving it out completely?

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If you are feeding a factory Layer feed-----you do not need to mix anything else with it. Some do give ground oyster shells, free choice. I rarely do and I have had 27 different breeds at one time---about 200 hens----no problems with the eggs. Just using a good layer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by