Crusty Eye on duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Yooperducker, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Yooperducker

Yooperducker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Copper Harbor, MI
    My ducklings arrived and 4 of the 5 did not make it. The one that was alive was severely dehydrated and her eyes were crusted shut. I was able to moisten them with warm water so she could open them once I had gotten her rehydrated. They are only partially open now though and I was wondering what you would recommend to clean them up more. I do not want to get her too wet since she is only 5 days old. But it looks like it must be uncomfortable.

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    At 5 days old its perfectly safe to get your duckling wet. I wouldnt use anything other than water to clean her eyes tho. I had one with one eye shut. I rubbed it open very gently with my finger.
    In fact they need deep enough water to dunk their head and clean their eyes and nose out. I let mine swim at 3-4 days old.
    They just need to get back under the heat lamp to warm up and dry off

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Also wanted to say im really sorry so many didnt make it [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Yooperducker make sure you use nice warm water for your ducklings bath. Once it is wet it may be easier to work to get the eye cleaned an unstuck..

Sorry very sorry for your losses.

1 person likes this.
  5. Waddlein

Waddlein Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Olympia, Washington
    Where did you order them from.

6. Yooperducker

Yooperducker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2017
    Copper Harbor, MI
    I got them from Murray McMurray but I do not fault them. It was a delay during the shipping process and people who did not take the time to look into the welfare of the animals enroute. Although I did not realize that their ducks come from California not Iowa where they are located, which is part of the reason I selected that hatchery. Had I known I would have looked for a hatchery closer in the event there was a delay, it may not have been so devastating. I am in the upper west of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Basically far from everywhere. Apparently different fowl species are hatched at different locations to prevent disease spread, cross contamination and tracking of diseases.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by