1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

crusty eye

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 4everacres, Mar 21, 2015.

1. 4everacres

4everacres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    Iowa
    Help! one of my runner ducks has crusty eyes. no bubbles, no sneezing, coughing, etc. She's just as active as the others. Sorry I don't have a pic right now. My thought is to gently soak the crust off the eyes? maybe put some antibiotic ointment around the eye? thoughts?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That would be a good start. make sure they have water deep enough to wash their faces in. mine like to duck their whole head in the bucket. You can try some ACV in their water for 3-4 days too 2Tab to 1 gal of water, plus putting the antibiotic ointment[no pain killer] around her eyes. also try some warm salty water to get the crusty off, if it doesn't clear up with fresh deep water with ACV added plus the antibiotic ointment or if other symptoms show up I'd consider a Vet visit if at all possible.Please keep us updated.

3. 4everacres

Nov 22, 2013
    Iowa
    thank you! all winter I've used a large heated dog bowl that allows them to dunk their heads. I've been using ACV too, but maybe it just needs to be physically removed. I'll start the gentle process tomorrow and let you know how it goes. thanks again!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks appreciate updates. I'd say physically removed would be the best way to go so you can really treat this. i have also used Veterycin spray for wounds and infections in my flocks eyes. good stuff to have on hand.

5. 4everacres

Nov 22, 2013
    Iowa
    it worked! i dropped the eye drops into the eyes, soaked a cloth in warm water with ACV, and gently scraped away the crust. put some antibiotic ointment on the bare spots. so far so good! thank you!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Awesome hope this takes care of it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by