1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Crusty eyed kitten-advice???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Smallflockchickens, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Smallflockchickens

Smallflockchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Arizona
    Hi I had 5 kittens born, all are healthy but one. She has crusty eyes thats mucus build up and dries, causing her eyes shut. Everyday I clean and flush them out but it just keeps coming back! Does anyone know how to fix this for good? Thanks :D

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Sounds like that upper respiratory thing that infant kittens can get. It is very contagious. All kittens will need to be treated. Antibiotic ointment in the eyes and oral antibiotics, or they may have permanent sight damage.

3. Nslangton

Nslangton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Ditto. You will soon have 5 kittens with crusty eyes and a mom cat too. They need an oral antibiotic or a two week shot antibiotic and an ophthalmic ointment in the eyes.

4. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Yep! What they said....very easy to treat, but you have to treat it now - and you have to treat all of them.

5. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

If it hasn't spread into any discharge from the nose, or wheezing, you may be able to get away with antibiotic eye ointment. You can usually get Terimycin at your feed store. It can be spendy, but is the next best thing to getting something at your vet. If you can, I'd take at least one into the vet, and they will usually let you get enough meds for the whole litter. When I was a tech, we ALWAYS had kittens coming in with this. If the kittens are all acting fine, except the eyes, I would just start with the eyes. Makes sure you use a warm, wet, wash rag to clean the eyes off, as it sounds like you have been doing. Not sure I would flush them, though, then apply the ointment three times a day. If you don't see any improvement within 5 or so days, or if they get worse, I'd get them into the vet.

Also, if it has turned into a respiratory infection, you will definitely need oral antibiotics. Cats won't eat well if they can't smell, and kittens that don't eat well, won't thrive. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  6. Smallflockchickens

Smallflockchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks everyone! The kittens are doing well, and and purrrfectly happy!

7. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I'm glad to hear that!! [​IMG] Were you able to get them into a vet, or find meds over the counter?

8. copperpatina

copperpatina Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    weaverville,ca
    if you add l-lysine which you can get at a health food store to their food it helps keep the eyes clear it is most like a form of herpe virus of the eye usally get it with uri which means even though fine now it will continue to come back once they have it , it can be a reoccuring thing a shot from the vet zithromax works much better then terrimyacin, baytril shots work well to but will ten to leave a scar.
    hope this helps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by