Crusty eyes/ lethargic but no signs of resp. issues?

RR1011

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 16, 2014
Ohio
I've got a silkie who has both eyes shut. They were crusted over yesterday kind of like pink eye. Warm compresses & Vaseline got her eyes open for me to see bubbly/ foamy discharge which I read is a sign of resp. disease like mycoplasma. However, she has no nasal discharge, no rattling, no coughing or sneezing. She is lethargic, not eating or drinking. Would you treat her like it's mycoplasma? Try tylan 50?

Ive been giving her antibiotic eye drops, no eye discharge today, but she's still got them closed.

Have you seen any evidence that she was pecked around the eyes? Has there been an ammonia odor in the coop from droppings? I would get some Terramycin eye ointment or some Vetericyn eye gel for her eyes. Some also will use plain Neosporin or Triple antibiotic ointment in the eyes twice a day instead. If you think she has conjunctivitis from MG, then give her the Tylan 50 injectable--1/4 ml orally twice daily for 5 days.

Have you seen any evidence that she was pecked around the eyes? Has there been an ammonia odor in the coop from droppings? I would get some Terramycin eye ointment or some Vetericyn eye gel for her eyes. Some also will use plain Neosporin or Triple antibiotic ointment in the eyes twice a day instead. If you think she has conjunctivitis from MG, then give her the Tylan 50 injectable--1/4 ml orally twice daily for 5 days.

Thank you! Dont think shes been pecked. No strong ammonia odor. I have an open air coop.

If anyone comes across my thread, it was mites. She had a colony right in the top of her tuft of head feathers. I saw two run across her face and thought that was weird. Gave her a bath and found them. I slathered them in Vaseline and treated her with ivermectin. She's now got both eyes open, swelling gone. Eating, drinking, moving around. She's doing great. The weird part is I read mites lay dormant in the winter months. It's been consistently cold and she still got them.

Back
Top Bottom