1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crusty eyes on young guinea

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by guineamom, Oct 15, 2009.

1. guineamom

guineamom New Egg

Oct 15, 2009
    Yesterday I noticed one of my birds was keeping one eye closed most of the time, and today it seems it wants to close the other one as well (I should double check on that) The eye appears to be a little crusty. Other than that it seems to be fine; running, eating, staying with the others etc.
    I don't know what happened, or how to "treat" this.
    Help!!!
    Thanks.

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well, I'm not a vet or anything, but I once had some birds get crusty eyes that were sealed shut. Being a nurse, I treated the symptoms and cleaned the eyes with a warm wet towel that I kept rinsing and rewarming and followed by applying triple antibiotic ointment. (Note.....I am real quick to use warm salt water for any wound on any creature. I find it heals faster)
    It later became apparent that the problem was imbedded in the brooder I had them in, because the next 'crop' had the same problem, so before using the brooder on any new baby birds, I cleaned it on high pressure and applied large amounts of Tide and Clorox to set there a while and then rinsed again at high pressure and kept it vacant for a long time. I had only one long lasting problem. One of my hens did go completely blind in one eye, but other than that I was lucky. Whatever the problem is with your bird, good luck and I hope it doesn't spread to the rest of them. Maybe consider treating them with an oral antibiotic you can put in their water, just as a precaution.
    I am a firm believer in vaccinations.....I hope this isn't the first sign of something worst than just a sick eye.

3. guineamom

guineamom New Egg

Oct 15, 2009
    Thank you. I'm grateful for the advice, and will give it a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by