Crusty eyes, won't eat or drink, mucous discharge from mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fair acres, Jan 22, 2015.

1. fair acres

fair acres New Egg

Jan 22, 2015
    We have a leghorn mix that we got about a month ago. She still hasn't recovered all her feathers from molting but until this morning was acting fine. This morning I found her in the corner of the coop and when I picked her up she didn't struggle. She has one crusty eye, is very lethargic, and does not appear to want to eat or drink. She has s mucous discharge from her mouth, but doesn't have labored breathing.

Any ideas?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Does she have an odor to her? She might have something that could spread to your other chickens.

Quarantine that hen immediately in a dog crate in your garage AWAY from your other chickens and watch them for any symptoms.

How long has she had the crusty eye? How does her crop feel?

I would get her on some oxytetracycline water soluble powder, stat... most feed stores will carry something like this for goats or cattle - grab one. Monitor her food and water intake. If she goes off drinking, you'll have to tube feed her liquids to keep her alive until she is able to heal herself.

Let us know of any other symptoms that appear.

MrsB

3. fair acres

fair acres New Egg

Jan 22, 2015
    Found a feather embedded next to her eye and down her beak that was causing infection. Put a warm compress on it and removed it. Put neosporin on the eye. No more discharge. Spoon feeding water to make sure she is drinking but I think we're out of the woods. Crop is full. So dhe has been eating. She is quarantined for now. Thanks

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Good, good, good. I am so relieved you were able to find the root and take care of it. :)

I hope your mama continues to heal!

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by