1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crusty Eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by martinnoah, Aug 25, 2013.

1. martinnoah

martinnoah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    Hi, I have 2 pullets and 2 cockrels with mucus in their eyes. It started about 3 days ago and most of my BCM's have it. They all have a strange cough. I have been giving them eye drops, but it is not helping much. If anyone has any suggestions please tell. Also if they're any home remedies, that would be great.

Thanks[​IMG]

2. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Very likely Mycoplasma gallisepticum. You'll need antibiotics. Tiamulin, tylosin, or doxycycline. The latter has some preparation requirements for best results.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tiamulin is Denagard which is hard to get hold of unless ordering it online--I think QC supply sells it, and it's rather costly. Tylosin is Tylan, and Tylan 50 runs about $12 at my farm store. Doxycycline requires a prescription online where I checked.

4. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
  5. martinnoah

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    thank-you, I will look into it.

6. martinnoah

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    I keep looking on BYC and found that giving them chick starter might help. So hopefully it will help.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Chick starter wont do anything against mycoplasma diseases or any other respiratory diseases for that matter. If in fact it is MG, denagard is the what you need to treat it or cull your sick birds.
    Here's a link to poultry diseases. Scroll down and read about Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG,) also read about Infectious Bronchitis (IB) and Infectious Coryza.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by