Crusty membrane... what shoud I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hucker, May 9, 2009.

1. hucker

hucker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I have read ALL of the posts about not helping and am prepared not to... but this case doesn't seem to match what I've read.

This chick has fully pipped, I can see him breathing and he is peeping like crazy. About half the shell is broken away, but where it is broken there is a crusty membrane that appears to be preventing him from moving any more. He does sound very vigorous but it has been about 6 hours in this exact state (yes I've been up since 3AM)

What should I do?

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. princessmama

princessmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Perhaps use a q-tip and warm water to carefully wet the membrane and see what happens. I've never had to do this but have read it a lot of time on this forum. Good luck [​IMG]

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

If it's crusty, he's most likely stuck. You're gonna have to help it out. Carefully just start at the pip, lift the top off the egg where its cracked open and go from there. Just make sure not to pull against the way the down is laying if you can help it. Chick skin WILL rip easily if you pull too hard. PM if you need help.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    help.
    I watched three of mine die that way because my humidity wasn't up enough. the last one I gave in and helped, she is the bigggest and healthiest in my bunch. It's not theirs or natures fault that we took them out from under their mother and put them in a box.

5. hucker

Dec 12, 2008
    I broke away a tiny bit and he sprung most of the way out. He doesn't look too healthy. The shell seems to be pretty stuck to him everywhere. He is cheeping and kicking like mad still....

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Mine that I helped that way had really glued down fluff. I rubbed it lightly with a warm wet cloth when it was time to take them out but she was still really scruffy looking for the first week or so.

7. hucker

Dec 12, 2008
    The crust is off and he's running around now! thanks for the help.

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Yay!!!! for you and your new baby!

9. hucker

Dec 12, 2008
    Yet another question. Only one (of three) hatched and (s)he's doing well but I wonder if there are issues having a single chick. We have 6 other chicks that are about 6 weeks old as well as the rest of the flock. When can the single chick be integrated with the older chicks?

10. hucker

Dec 12, 2008
    Just to follow up "Blackberry" is alive and kicking. Not big enough to join the rest of the flock but he's flying around a bit and stronger than his hatch-mate. Thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by