Crusty nose, breathing through mouth, sneezing, chest noises etc

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theacw, Jan 20, 2013.

1. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    So my 6 month old silkie/cochin mix may be sick. She lives at my parents (who arent as familiar with chickens) and I am going back home out of town tomorrow. They have been caring for my 3 while I wait to bring them with me when the weather gets better because they have a heated coop here.

Her nose is very crusty today but I didnt notice it yesterday like that. She was sneezing yesterday though. She has been breathing through her mouth a lot but I wasnt sure if it was because I had her inside with me and she was getting hot. But today, she was also doing it in her coop. I listened to her chest a minute ago and I do believe I may have heard some noises that arent the usual. I dont know much either and not familiar with illnesses as I have been pretty lucky for the most part.

Is there anything I can do/check before I leave town tomorrow so that I know that I am not leaving her sick? We bumped up the insulation and added another heat lamp yesterday so it should be decently warm in there the next few days. Suppose to be a high of -15 tomorrow so SUPER cold but I think they will be ok.

THANKS

2. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    We have bad weather coming too as of Monday. If she has a respiratory ailment (hence the crusty nose) I would try to give her a dose of Vet RX. It is usually available at most farm stores or poultry suppliers and is kind of like Vicks for chickens. It works wonders though, I always keep a bottle around just in case.

3. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Dang, right after I saw that I raced to fleet farm before they closed and they said they didnt have it and I didnt see it. Im surprised they didnt, they are really my only option in town to look.

Any other ideas? I bought an antibiotic for resp. issues if things get worse. Is there something similar to Vet RX that I can try? I dont wanna leave my baby behind sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by