Crusty vent?! Help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by stephross, Nov 24, 2014.

1. stephross

stephross Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    Cancun,Mexico
    Hi! I'm very new to quails and lately I have been having some issues with one of my girls,she has been very under the weather and has lost a ton of weight!I posted about this before and things don't seem to improve much but she's still holding on. I haven't found the root of her weightloss issue but today I noticed that her vent was white-ish and crusty,out of nowhere! I gave her a warm bath to loosen it and remove it and It worked perfectly but what could be causing this? Is there a way for me to help her gain weight?help!worried new mom [​IMG]

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    this sounds like vent gleet, pasty poo that's stuck around the vent. You are correct in softening it to help remove it but the underlying problem must be addressed. This is more common in chicks and old birds so the first thing you might want to do is put her into a cage by herself with a heat lamp, then change the water and add apple cider vinegar this will help the hens digestion and should make the poo a bit softer and wetter. Check the diet and be sure she is eating all the right foods not just one type or the other. Kind of like us taking enzymes for our tummy troubles, same kind of thing. If all else fails you could take her to a vet. hope this helps a bit and good luck.

3. stephross

Sep 30, 2014
    Cancun,Mexico
    Thank you! I will definitely do so,I already have her separated and with a lamp,currently giving her electrolyte solution but will start with the vinegar as soon as possible,she's kinda picky with food so I give her a mix of crushed dried corn,chick starter feed and a bit of oatmeal.The oatmeal is something new in her diet,could that be the reason she's like this?

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I would give her the crumbles and fresh veggies, spinach, broccoli, corn, cooked carrot, peas squeezed from the shell, and the like and not oatmeal.

5. stephross

Sep 30, 2014
    Cancun,Mexico
    Thank you for the suggestion! I already started adding a bit of vinegar to her water and she seems to be liking it.I'll try veggie today I have attempted to giver her those previously but she just won't even acknowledge them,I'll remove the dry food for a bit and see if she notices fresh veggies![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by