Crutchies leg šŸ˜°

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
My pullet, Crutchie, has one leg that drags behind her, sheā€™s been fine but I just noticed sheā€™s been bleeding, I checked her and her leg got cut on a rock or a stick, we live in Alaska so theyā€™re arenā€™t too many deadly infections but what should I put on it that we have at home?
(meal worms in the picture arenā€™t just for her by the way, itā€™s for the entire flock)

I canā€™t get a picture of her leg seeing as I just put her in the hen house for the night, but hereā€™s what was left on my hoodie just from holding her, there was more on my hands but I washed me hands so itā€™s gone.

Attachments

• A5428678-CB03-4416-BC8F-B98B83C691B7.jpeg
    A5428678-CB03-4416-BC8F-B98B83C691B7.jpeg
    846.9 KB · Views: 48
  • AAA0F9BA-B098-458D-8816-07FD84F2F171.jpeg
    AAA0F9BA-B098-458D-8816-07FD84F2F171.jpeg
    474.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
If you have neosporin, that would be good. Or you can make a salve mix of a little honey (optional) with turmeric (not too much if she hasn't stopped bleeding yet, though she should have by now as it has some anticoagulant properties), and some garlic/garlic powder to place on her wound, then bandage. They contain great antifungal and antimicrobial properties. Hope she heals quickly!

If you have neosporin, that would be good. Or you can make a salve mix of a little honey (optional) with turmeric (not too much if she hasn't stopped bleeding yet, though she should have by now as it has some anticoagulant properties), and some garlic/garlic powder to place on her wound, then bandage. They contain great antifungal and antimicrobial properties. Hope she heals quickly!
Thanks!

My pullet, Crutchie, has one leg that drags behind her, sheā€™s been fine but I just noticed sheā€™s been bleeding, I checked her and her leg got cut on a rock or a stick, we live in Alaska so theyā€™re arenā€™t too many deadly infections but what should I put on it that we have at home?
(meal worms in the picture arenā€™t just for her by the way, itā€™s for the entire flock)

I canā€™t get a picture of her leg seeing as I just put her in the hen house for the night, but hereā€™s what was left on my hoodie just from holding her, there was more on my hands but I washed me hands so itā€™s gone.
Bleeding means a break in the skin.
Clean it well with hibiclens, then apply triple antibiotic ointment and wrap the foot.

You may find that you need to keep her on clean dry bedding. A foot that is constantly being dragged, the tissue will break down and infection can set in.

Has she hurt her leg or has she been paralyzed in the leg? Look it over for cuts or scrapes, and clean it. Hibiclens and water, betadine, or just soap and water are fine. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?

Bleeding means a break in the skin.
Clean it well with hibiclens, then apply triple antibiotic ointment and wrap the foot.

You may find that you need to keep her on clean dry bedding. A foot that is constantly being dragged, the tissue will break down and infection can set in.
Wow itā€™s a lot worse then, Iā€™m order a little handmade chick leg wrap from her on Etsyā€¦ do you think peroxide would work on chickens?

Has she hurt her leg or has she been paralyzed in the leg? Look it over for cuts or scrapes, and clean it. Hibiclens and water, betadine, or just soap and water are fine. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?
Weā€™re not sure what happened, I got her for free cause she and her brother needed rehab, her leg didnā€™t get better, all I know is she had a seizure when she was a few days old and now she has that leg. Iā€™ve never taken her too the vet, Iā€™m scared theyā€™ll just want me to put her down when she isnā€™t showing any signs of pain or anxiety, sheā€™s just a little slower.

Back
Top Bottom