*cry* one of my beautiful anconas was attacked this morning (WARNING: PICS)

Valntyn

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
Central Maine
I went out to feed and water everyone this morning, only to find Freckles, one of my young Anconas bloodied.
hit.gif
Something got him on the back of his neck -- I tried to get pics, but I didn't want to get too close and frighten him more. It MOSTLY looks like a bunch of feathers were torn out. I wasn't able to see any major gashes/torn skin. He also has a few scratches on his face, but all-in-all, (not to sound cold-hearted, just trying to keep myself rational), the damage doesn't look too bad. There were dig holes under the fence on the backside near the woods (you can kind of see one in the top pic), where something came in. I don't know how big a hole a raccoon would need, but it was a smallish hole, something a cat could fit through (but bigger than a rat/squirrel, which I doubt would attack a duck, but could also fit through the fencing if they wanted and wouldn't have to dig under it). The wound seemed fresh to me and I'm kicking myself in the *****, thinking I could have prevented it if I'd only gotten out there an hour sooner, when I should have been out there. *sigh*

I took these pics when I first got out there. I hosed him down gently (after these pics were taken), to wash away all that smeared blood and to access the true depth of his injuries. When I first got out there, his eye was kind of sunk (you know, how when an animal isn't feeling well), but he seemed genuinely appreciative of the clean-up and didn't look so forlorn after. He's currently sitting in the pool.

While, of course, I'm worried about my gorgeous Freckles, I'm not terribly worried about his wounds. What I AM worried about, and need advice on, are the flies. When I went out there, I noticed a lot of them buzzing about. I've heard horror stories of flies laying eggs in wounds, making things worse. I need advice, please, of what I should/shouldn't do. And I guess I need to know if I'm being naive not worrying about his wounds -- I keep thinking they're not bad, but I don't know how much a duck bleeds from feathers being yanked out... I'll try to get more pictures of him 'cleaned up,' but I really don't want to upset him more right now...

*sigh* I'm just so upset over this. We're >< this close to having their new coop/run finished -- as in, we were hoping to move the ducks into it this weekend. I've been so excited about the upcoming picture post, showing off all our hard work. Now it's kind of spoiled. I know that sounds dumb... It's just so ironically stupid that he got hurt so close to moving into a new, better and more secure home.
rant.gif
Sorry to ramble so much... thank you for taking the time to read/respond.

EDITED TO ADD: Right after posting, I went out to check on Freckles. He was COVERED with flies, so I put him in a big cat carrier and brought him inside. .... Now I'm lost and REALLY look forward to any help you can offer. Thanks again...

Last edited:
Id be putting Blue kote on it. I did that for my cat when she got into it with another cat. No fies. And if your able to keep her inside for a few days that would help excellently with the flies. If it was my duck Id have her in the tub allowing her to clean// help her clean the blood off to get a closer look. Then I would just apply blue kote if its not too bad. :) Hope it helps

I'm new here - and a more experienced member may chime in and I will defer to them. I will be sharing some bad news.

-The flies already laid eggs in the wounds. Today or tomorrow you'll begin to see their larva in the wound. I had a rooster that was attacked and let him try to recover while I was at work...when I got home the wounds were filled and he was in obvious distress. I moved on to step 2.
-I think, unfortunately, that it may be best for him if he is euthanized. It stinks, but better than him living in pain.

He needs caught and cleaned up and kept where flies can not get at the wounds and lay eggs. A towel wrapped around him will help hold him still and keep him calmer. Rinse with Luke warm water to clean and access the injuries. Neosporin without pain relief makes a good topical. Poultry drench, save a chick are both good to be added to water after a traumatic attack/injury.

Sorry he was attacked, I am assuming the ducks aren't keets in a secure house at night? You will want to do something to change that now that a predator found them it will most likely return.

I'm new here - and a more experienced member may chime in and I will defer to them. I will be sharing some bad news.

-The flies already laid eggs in the wounds. Today or tomorrow you'll begin to see their larva in the wound. I had a rooster that was attacked and let him try to recover while I was at work...when I got home the wounds were filled and he was in obvious distress. I moved on to step 2.
-I think, unfortunately, that it may be best for him if he is euthanized. It stinks, but better than him living in pain.
I think that she could be saved. Just some love and cleaning will due. And since shes young she could have had a feather knicked and which could have levt the blood. I would clean her off and check.

He needs caught and cleaned up and kept where flies can not get at the wounds and lay eggs. A towel wrapped around him will help hold him still and keep him calmer. Rinse with Luke warm water to clean and access the injuries. Neosporin without pain relief makes a good topical. Poultry drench, save a chick are both good to be added to water after a traumatic attack/injury.
Sorry he was attacked, I am assuming the ducks aren't keets in a secure house at night? You will want to do something to change that now that a predator found them it will most likely return.
Agreed! :)

I would probably post this in emergencies to get faster responses. I've never had a fly issue with my ducks (in wounds that is), but I've seen it with rabbits plenty of times and it can get really bad really fast! Taking him inside is definitely the best thing. You should also clean out his injuries. I'm not sure what you should use besides water- I remember reading about this on this forum so try searching for "fly strike" or "maggots" to see if anything will kill the eggs without harming the duck. You want to kill the eggs BEFORE they have a chance to burrow into the duck's flesh (sorry I know that sounds gross). Good luck!

edit: posted this at the same time as others- I think it's worth a try to save him, but unfortunately you should be prepared to euthanize him if he gets maggots
sad.png

Last edited:
Stay right here. The emergencies area tends to ignore duck and goose posters. Get the injuries cleaned up and post new info about what you find and pictures too if you can.

Totally off topic, but to Cskotek, doesn't the Blue Kote bottle specifically say NOT to use on cats? Pretty sure it does. At least it always used to.
Valtyn- I hope your duck pulls through. Good luck to you both.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've had Freckles in the bathroom for the last couple hours, checking on him every so often. I was able to pick him up and look at him a little better -- though with only the two hands I have holding him, I wasn't able to do any in-depth looking. It seems as though there's a bald patch on the back base of his neck, but no wound, and the worst of it is on the right side of his neck (as seen in the second picture I posted above). I can't really see any wounds; it looks like the feathers are matted against his neck.

I've been outside the last hour or so, getting as much done on the new duck house as possible by myself. Fortunately, there isn't too too much left to do. My husband was able to get out of work half a day early (thank you, boss!!), so if we work double-time, we should get things safe enough to transfer Freckles' mate over there for tonight, then really finish-finish it Saturday. With hubby home, too, I'll have extra hands to be able to check Freckles out more thoroughly and clean him up better if needed.

When I checked on him a few minutes ago, it looked like he'd been at the water & peas bowl I put in there with him, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Again, thanks so much for the help.

Back
Top Bottom