1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*crying* One of our favorite girls is a BOY!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by arwmommy, Jul 23, 2007.

1. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    I am heartbroken to find that one of our favorite girls started crowing today. ((((sigh)))). Wish we could keep him but we are on a development lot, and neighbors would FLIP! If you are interested and near the Central Coast of California, visit my post on buy/sell/giveaway at: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=89250#p89250

He
    is a hand raised, child-mauled, almost 12 week old bantam Dark Brahma (purebred). He has been fed organic right from the start and free ranges everyday. We purchased him from mypetchicken.com, and he is sweet and wonderful.

He always "acted" like a roo, but I was in denial because he was the one that followed me around like I was his mama. I convinced myself he was a pullet, because he didn't have any more comb development than the others--- until a few days ago-- and then the "crows" today confirmed it. DH and I were in the backyard when she started making this weird noise. We rushed over to where they were free ranging to make sure she was OK. More noises-- then the blood drained out of my face when I realized "she is a HE! He is trying to CROW!" DH just looked at him, and then me, and then said, "You have to get rid of him, soon!" He wasn't mean about it, just confirming what I already know. [​IMG]

I really thought we were in the clear by now, that any roos would have been detected much earlier! Am I wrong about this? Shouldn't we have been able to see substantial comb development before this week? *sigh*, I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, but I want to know for the future.

Thanks everyone, and here he is....

[​IMG]

He is so loving...
    [​IMG]

Beautiful green/black feathering is starting:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i feel your pain! my favorite girl penelope was a boy, i had to get rid of him/her too!! it is really hard. i got rid of him about 2 weeks ago. i'm getting a cuckoo maran chick (SEXED!!!) around august to replace him, but i dont think i can ever replace him. maybe if i move to the country i'll get a roo of the same breed he was and name him penelope #2? i dunno. but i really feel your pain. he was the sweetest thing and ran out to me everytime. i would stroke his neck and he would fall asleep. oh how i loved him. now he is with a new family and they have a bantam hen who hatched an egg (not his, the lady bought fertilized eggs) so my lil penelope has a wife and a kid!! wow. here i am reminiscing. but it does get better. i am really sorry. mine was a bantam and so they cant be sexed (their vent is too small).

here is my dear dear penelope (the lady who bought him kept the name!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    I swear the friendly ones are always Roos! Drives me nuts. Adore mine too.

ML

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by