1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crying over change in zoning

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ksmc, Sep 14, 2016.

1. ksmc

ksmc New Egg

Sep 14, 2016
    After researching rules and finding none, we bought our baby chicks and raised them through laying. Someone complained and all the sudden a rule was "found". So, so upsetting. Now we have our adorable little red coop with no idea what we can use it for. Tried selling and of course people want it for nothing. It housed 8 chickens comfortably. Any ideas of what we could turn it into?
    Thanks for ideas.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - sorry to hear it is under these circumstances. Without seeing the structure it is impossible for us to suggest possible repurposing ideas - could you take and post some photos? Have you considered becoming involved in working to change the zoning regulations for your area so that poultry can be allowed? When you were researching prior to getting your birds who/what were your sources for the assurances that there were no prohibitions in place?

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry to hear of your zoning issues, that must have been very hard to give them up. Please do as Ol Grey Mare suggests and see if you can get the zoning laws changed...there may be more people in your area that would like to have birds and you could all band together.

As for your coop, maybe it could be re-purposed as a kid's playhouse or a gardening shed/greenhouse with some small changes?

Good luck to you!

4. ksmc

ksmc New Egg

Sep 14, 2016
    [​IMG]W

We did all we could believe me. It's a very small village and the good ol guy government.
    I'd like to make this into something else to remember my girls.

5. ksmc

ksmc New Egg

Sep 14, 2016
    We did research it and even one of the trustees assured us nothing was in place to discourage us. We were able to place the girls with a family who raises chickens in another area. I can see them when I want but it's not the same.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  7. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    It is pretty nice looking ... don't know ... a couple of rabbits or guinea pigs? Maybe you could put it in or beside a raised bed garden and place some flowers and a few of those attractive metal chickens around it for yard decor.

1 person likes this.
  8. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Rabbit hutch

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some areas that don't permit chickens - allow quail etc. you might inquire about having a different type of poultry.

10. ksmc

ksmc New Egg

Sep 14, 2016
    Their answer is no livestock, in particularly chickens. When I think of livestock, I usually don't think of chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by