Crying

JeannieB60

Chirping
Apr 27, 2019
My 2 1/2 yo Easter Egger, began making this crying sound today. She hasn’t laid an egg in a couple months due to molt and time of year. I’ll try to post video
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/97/07/2FA5DDDB-889D-4571-95F9-24A27EA4452C/IMG_1272.MOV

Usually, very vocal hens are healthy, just loud. But this sound may signify egg distress. You need to pick her up and bring her inside and do a thorough checkup on her.

Just as a doctor does, start at the head, and check eyes, ears and throat. You may need a helper. Use a flashlight to look deep into her throat. and ears. Check for anything that shouldn't be there - crust, gunk, blisters, swelling.

Move to the crop. Check for fullness and if it's hard, lumpy or squishy.

Feel her abdomen. Any swelling or hard lumps anywhere? Look at her vent. Is it swollen and pulsating? Any skin redness below the vent?

For starters, I have a hunch she is in an egg crisis. She could have a stuck egg. Give her a calcium tablet first thing. It will do no harm if this isn't her problem. Just pop the tablet into her beak. If you have no calcium supplement on hand, give her Tums. If you don't have anything, go buy it. It's that important. This is what you should buy.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Sounds like stridor with a cough or sneeze, look in her throat for any obstruction.
Sometimes a bird do this when they get a piece of food or mucous stuck in their throat and it usually resolves on it's own in a few hours.

Take note while you are examining her whether she's got any bubbles/pus in the eyes or mucous in the nostrils which would indicated something more serious.

Back
Top Bottom