Crystal like objects in chicken poop

Megsnshay

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2018
My chicken pooped a big ball of normal poop but it had many clear off white crystal objects in it? Puts me in the mind of driveway salt but they're so hard I can't break them they won't melt. Anyone ever have this happen?

Here's what was in her poop

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_130837410.jpg
    IMG_20230408_130837410.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 25
Looks like glass, could have gotten into some glass at some point? It looks like they've been buffered in her gizzard.
Anything is possible this place we live does have junk around the woods . I'm sure there could be glass out in the woods too.

Welcome to BYC. How is she acting?
She's fine and happy as can be . Nothing ever changed about her except she is wanting to sit on eggs again. Which she was gone for about 6 weeks and I found out she was actually in behind a dog box on eggs that are not fertile , then she come off that nest and had the giant poop with the salt or glass like stuff.

She's fine and happy as can be . Nothing ever changed about her except she is wanting to sit on eggs again. Which she was gone for about 6 weeks and I found out she was actually in behind a dog box on eggs that are not fertile , then she come off that nest and had the giant poop with the salt or glass like stuff.
If she injested that much salt, she'd be dead. I'm glad to hear she's doing ok.

It does look like glass that has gone through her gizzard. Seems like she's doing fine despite that. I would have a look around and try to clean up things they shouldn't eat, or fence off areas that can't be to keep them out. Glass will get sanded and rounded in the gizzard, but pieces of metal (screws, nails, staples, lead from old bullets) can cause big problems (hardware disease or heavy metal poisoning) and sometimes be fatal. Having said that, chickens sometimes eat all sorts of things they shouldn't and most of the time they survive.

Back
Top Bottom