Cub Scout kid gets suspended out of school

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by EweSheep, Oct 13, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    for having a Boy Scout utility knife which he was using the knife for a spoon and fork for eating his lunch.

He is suspended from school and his mom is going to homeschool him.

I think the school is getting carried away since it is too much. I can see if he threatened a kid with a knife but in this case, using it for lunch is a different matter. And the punishment does not fit the crime either.

UGH!

thanks to PC, for the correction of Boy Scout which this kid is a Cub Scout. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Agreed. He was not hiding it and planning murder.....

Why didnt they just confiscate it and send him home with a note?
    SHEESH!

3. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    another item to add to the list of some of the dumbest things I have ever heard...I saw the little guy on tv today and he about as dangerous as a wet noodle...stupid...everyone wants a one sixe fits all world and it just isn't like that...

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think they need to make an exception with this kid, him being 6 years old. The main issue that other kids will bring weapons to school. It's a fact and a sorry one at that.

I think the punishment for a scout knife is way too harsh for that kid. 45 days in a reform school????? They need to rethink that one!

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    No they have a "no tolerance" rule. My boy got suspended too years ago. For having his pocket knife in his pocket. I understand the reasons why, but it's a shame that it had to come to that.

6. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Its crazy that it has had to come down to this. I mean, a six year old boy scout- being treated like a criminal? It just doesn't make sense. I hope they weren't mean to him.

7. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i sent my DD to school with a plastic knife to school to spread cheese whiz on her crackers and the school took it off her... i now send a popsicle stick [​IMG]

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    He's not a Boy Scout. He's a Cub Scout at 6 and Cub Scouts are not allowed to carry a knife by scout rules. He'd be booted out of scouts if that happened in our pack.

I agree it's hardly a suspendible offense.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:You got to be kidding me!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Oh, then I didnt know he was a Cub Scout....but however I dont see anything wrong with him having it .

I used to ahve a GS knife all the way to grade school, carried it in my pocket and no one ever said anything about it. I even ate off of it too! My father was a Cub scout, Boy Scout and now Boy Scout Leader and he said back then, no one ever thinks differently about carrying knives and they did stress the safety issues of handling and carrying a knife at all times.

Yes the punishment was extreme and I voted "its ridiculous" in the MSN voting.

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I don't know for sure he's even in scouting but at 6 he would be a Bear or Wolf Cub Scout. Scouting takes things like knives VERY seriously and only lets the kids use them under certain circumstances and each year they are allowed more freedom. It's a real good program.

In todays world I can see how him having it would be a problem, especially in school. My son always carried a multitool or small knife with him but only when he was with me.

The whole thing is stupid and sensationalized. A smart teacher would have taken it away and given it to the kids parents without maing a fuss. But, then again, that may have place the teacher in some sort of liability. Who knows...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by