Cucco Marans Lays first couple eggs then stops altogether...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dv002i, Nov 18, 2009.

1. dv002i

dv002i Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    Hello,

Still pretty new to chickens having raised chicks from June 1st. A couple weeks ago we started getting our first eggs. Our Cucoo Marans, Ruby, laid her first egg, then took a day off, and the following two days laid an egg each day. Since then she has not laid a single egg, a little over a week now. Is this normal? She appears healthy. She was squatting before but she has not really been squatting the past couple days either. Any thoughts? Two of our other chickens are laying (A Silver Laced Wayandotte and an Astralorp) and doing so daily for the past week. With supplemental light they get 14 hrs a day. They free range in the yard for 2-4 hrs a day.

Thanks for your thoughts,

-Daniel

2. natrgatr

natrgatr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Columbia City, IN
    Check around the yard. She has probably found somewhere else to lay. I thought I had got my first egg from my Cuckoo Marans until I was missing a hen at dusk. Look around and found her sitting on a nest with 22 eggs on the straw bales in the barn. [​IMG]

3. dv002i

Jun 12, 2009
    Yea somewhere outside the nesting boxes is what I was initially thinking too. I have searched their run, and the yard up and down several times and there are no good hiding places I haven't checked. We only have a city lot (fenced in) so it's not too hard to search everywhere. She is definitely not laying. :-(

4. dv002i

Jun 12, 2009
    Did one more check of the yard and run just in case. Definitely no eggs. Any ideas why she would have stopped laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by