Cucko Maran Chick Kicked Shell...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WalachaFarm, May 20, 2016.

1. WalachaFarm

WalachaFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2015
    Hi guys,

I have hatched Ducks successfully from an incubator, and am currently working on Bielefelders and Cuckoo Marans. I had two hatch this morning, 10 are pipped, but this Maran had kicked it's shell off and is still in the membrane. I've never seen anything quite like this. Should I be concerned? My Incubator temp is 100.2 and the humidity is 72%. The chick is still moving around and I see resperations. I also see small bits of blood which leads me to believe it isn't fully detached. So I should leave it alone alone right? I just felt I should consult my expert pals. [​IMG]

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    At this point I'd probably peel back the membrane a bit..

3. WalachaFarm

Apr 22, 2015
    Well it has split the membrane, and the beak is out, it is getting oxygen... I'm just afraid if I tear it that it will bleed out. I've read so much about not doing that. Is there a place I should start it? Just stay with the natural tear? It's still moving, and peeping, and doesn't seem distressed... I'm just worried that if I do something wrong it may bleed. :(

4. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I've had to.. if there at that point they are usally ready..I can't know since I'm not there.. but on top by head. Just a little to start

5. WalachaFarm

Apr 22, 2015
    Well that one came out & is thriving.

I did have a Bielefelder chick that took FOREVER to hatch and when she did finally come out Saturday Night, she was so contorted that her one foot is a bit deformed & her leg is splayed. She can't quite hold her head up; but she is trying to stand, Ive gotten her to eat a wet mash & drink water. Should I have let nature take it's course, or is the prognosis good that she will get her leg, foot & neck stretch out & grown normally?

I couldn't just let her die. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by