cucko maran

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Aug 1, 2011.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    just curious if anyone knows if a cucko mara rooster can have black eyes? here is a pic of my rooster. we dont know really what he is. can anyone help?[​IMG]

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    First of all, that's not a Cuckoo Marans. The Cuckoo color pattern looks like a smudgey Barred Rock pattern. If it's close to any of the Marans coloring, it would be a Black Copper. Blacks eyes are NOT desired in the Marans breed. Eyes should be reddish bay. To learn more about the breed, please visit one of the existing Marans threads. [​IMG]

3. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Yea I Read About Them But I Thought This Boy Might Be A Cross Breed Or Something. He Looks Alittle Like The Copper Colored Ones But The Black Eyes Kinda Threw Me. I May Never Know What He Is.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    He's not even purebred - The legs seem of the wrong color, almost too uniform, and they're clean. Some Marans do indeed have black eyes, but it is an unwanted trait, however I think this guy is half Marans, possibly less. His color is easily passed on from Marans and can continue to show up, mocking the Black Copper appearance, even a few generations later.

Course, he may also be purebred, but no, black eyes nor his legs are a wanted trait. But, if you just want a pet, he's fine! [​IMG]

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    oh yes just pets. but i did think he did favor the copper colors of the marans.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by