1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Aracauna Bantams What do you think ? Should I continue them ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by josh44, Sep 10, 2010.

1. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Devolopeing a new variety of Aracauna Bantams.

They do produce chicks with tail segments, & Completely Rumpless with full tuffs.
    Theylay blue eggs & are very fertile.

They are some what on the big side for bantams and weigh about 2-3 lbs so I can even breed up to make standard cuckoo Aracauna.
    What do you think ???

It was an old project I had worked on in the past, but I 'm decided to try to continue it .
    But need opinions ???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All I have is pics of roosters not hens pics. yet.

Do you think it's a project worth completeing ???

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, and send some to me so I can help with making LF Cuckoos. [​IMG]

I have some blue cuckoos with a little leakage and would love to A) clean it up and B) make them black.

It could also help a little more understanding of the barred gene, as I for one really don't think my barred birds are like normal ones (Rocks, Marans, etc )

3. josh44

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Hi Illia, [​IMG]
    saw you had some blue barred aracauna, & polish.
    Do you have any pics ???

I know what you mean the cuckoo color does need work, but I think them being bred to a few nice black hens might help it out a bit.

From what I read & understand o barred genetics, since my roo is light cuckoo if I breed him back with black hens 100% of the offspring will be cuckoo.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Right now I have nowhere to go with my blue/splash barred birds, as even my black Araucanas have gold leaking. I just simply need new stock to help them.

This is the last photo I took of my blue barred cockerel, but it doesn't show much. As he ages, his barring disappears and sadly his golden yellow leaks in, diluting the barring. With the female, this doesn't happen - instead, her head is simply more yellowish colored of barring, like it was stained, washed, and the stain still left something. Together I'm going to get some normal "black" cuckoo out of the two so I can truly see what I'm working with here.

[​IMG]

Here, he's the cockerel in the background, but his barring really shows up.

[​IMG]

5. josh44

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Where do your Aracauna come from ?

Is there any mixing of breeds in their lines or are they pure?

6. megcpat

megcpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Montana
    I really, really like the barred tufts. That is so different from anything I personally have ever seen. Looking forward to watching this project of yours.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    josh44: I got mine from Gary Ramey in SC. I'm pretty sure they're pure, and I know he's been working on this color for years. Sadly he doesn't breed a true barring anymore, but instead likes to throw more gold leakage in them for AOV experiments. (Also, the parents to mine are a Splash Cuckoo cock over Blue Cuckoo girls) Mine, though, to my satisfaction are my 3rd bluest layers.

8. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Here is a couple of pics I took last week of my barred chick. It looks just like my barred rocks did as babies. I will take better pics tomorrow. Its barring gets more distinct every day. I appologize for the crappy pics. The camera and I are not friends.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its mom I got from Gary Ramey and it is out of my splash roo who is what I would call a gold splash.

Lanae

9. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Here is a couple of pics of my barred LF chick that I took today. I am not fond of the color but I do like the yellow legs with it and the yellow beak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by