Cuckoo/black/Blue/lavender spilts color gentic advice please.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Teresaann24, May 9, 2011.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    So my 2 6 week old silkie chicks are from a cuckoo breeding pen not showing any cuckoo coloring one is black and one is a dark blue.

My question is:

If I get lucky and get a pair if bred together what would the outcome be would I get any cuckoo?

If both turn out to be pullets what color would I pair them with and what would the outcomes be?

If both turn out to be roo's what color would I pair them with and what would the outcomes be?

Is there anyway to breed them without breeding them to another cuckoo to get the cuckoo coloring from them and would they be consider cuckoo spilts????

Now on to the Lavender splits...If breeding a lavender split roo to a blue hen what would the outcomes be? Blue chicks or blue chicks carrying the lavender gene or lavenders?

What about breeding a lavender split to a lavender would you get all lavender?

Thanks for any advice I am so not good at color genetics.

2. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Anyone wanna take a shot at it?LOL

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    they well only produce blue and black if it carries cuckoo it well show up cuckoo

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    After seeing my babies that came from the cuckoo pen both are blue one is very dark blue and the other a little bit lighter.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The only way cuckoo (barring) will not show is if it is hidden by recessive or dominant white. Meaning that a white bird can be barred/cuckoo, but no other colour can hide the barring. So you cannot have anything split to cuckoo. It is an incompletely dominant gene.

7. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    you must have at least one cuckoo parent to have cuckoo offspring. unless you have a white bird described by sonoran. How ever those are few and far between. your best bet is to either buy a cuckoo bird or try some eggs again.

please don't breed your lav chicks to blue, breed to black.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:barring is common in white birds of SOME breeds, but definitely not silkies. Even if barring is hidden by white, the pigment problems (lack of dark skin) would still occur.

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Thank you both...So if I put these guys in a breeding pen of BBS I am not gonna get some wild colors to crop up?

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by