"Cuckoo Black Maran"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MysteryChik, Mar 3, 2017.

1. MysteryChik

MysteryChik Chillin' With My Peeps

First time ever bought some baby chicks from SS today during chick days. Two of the chicks I bought were advertised as "Cuckoo Black Marans" but I can't really find any information online googling that exact name. I'm finding stuff on copper black, and just black. I'm so confused. I bought them bc it said they were "very good" for egg production, and also bc it said they lay dark brown eggs and I wanted something besides what I already have which are light brown and cream eggs. I also bought some golden comets. which of course I can find a ton of information on then. Please help.. is the name of this breed advertised wrong at SS or what? TIA

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Perhaps they had cuckoo and black Marans mixed together in the same bin. the chicks look pretty much the same.

Or maybe for some reason they were trying to distinguish them from golden cuckoo Marans.

Or a typo and they meant copper not cuckoo.

Lol

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  3. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri

Search "cuckoo marans". Im sure thats what they would be.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm pretty sure they're cuckoo Marans. If they're little black chicks with white bellies and white spots on their heads, that's your bird.

The base color is black, so maybe that's why they got labeled that way.

My hatchery cuckoos are nice birds. Productive, and one went broody twice for me last year, which I consider a bonus. Their eggs aren't the dark-dark chocolate, but a good few shades darker than my Rocks, Australorps, etc.

1 person likes this.
  5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yeah usually they are referred to as silver cuckoo of it's specified. Feedstores do all sorts of weird stuff with their labels. Mine keeps stopping Araucanas which makes me want to give them a chicken lesson because they're EEs.

1 person likes this.
  6. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I have a Cuckoo Marans, which was listed as such, that turned out very dark. More 'black with white spots'. than a 'true' Cuckoo. Maybe that's what they mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by