Cuckoo French Marans over Ameruacana- sexable?

CzyChikenMath

Songster
Jun 2, 2017
Hammonton, NJ
Hi. Here's an old post with some info. I need help figuring out the reverse.. I have the FCM Roo over the AM hen. Can't they be sexable (maybe not as easily) by white tips on wings, or somehow with spot on head or something else in the barring pattern? I think the ones I used a cream crested legbar hen instead some will be crested - but again, not sure how to sex. A dominant gene from each parent. Hard to find info on Cuckoo Marans. Please help.
Jun 15, 2011#3

BeardedLadyFarmSongster
You can indeed get barred Olive Eggers from this cross. (HE IS REFERRING TO THE SAME CROSS AS TITLE) There aren't many dark egg laying lines of Cuckoos out there, so I'd be sure what you are buying if the goal is an olive egger, and not an easter egger.

A Cuckoo Marans rooster over black Ameraucana girls would be the best bet. You could use a blue hen as well, and then you would get blue and black barred olive eggers.

If you wanted to be certain you were starting with dark egg color, you could use a black Ameraucana roo over a Cuckoo Marans hen, but the offspring would be sex linked. The pullets would be black, and the cockerels would be barred.

The pullets would be black, and the cockerels would be barred.
Not at hatch... they would all be black and the cockerels would have a white dot on their head.

Regarding your actual question... In theory the females would get ONE copy of the barring gene... I don't know if that will give them white spots on their head just smaller... or not.

Since you are having a hard time finding info on cuckoo... look at info for the BR.

Please note... ALL of my FBCM have white wing tips at hatch.

On your crested... my understanding is that you should get about 50% with only one crested parent... and it will be irrelevant to chick gender.

Good luck figuring it out, loads of fun! :wee

Not at hatch... they would all be black and the cockerels would have a white dot on their head.

Regarding your actual question... In theory the females would get ONE copy of the barring gene... I don't know if that will give them white spots on their head just smaller... or not.

Since you are having a hard time finding info on cuckoo... look at info for the BR.

Please note... ALL of my FBCM have white wing tips at hatch.

On your crested... my understanding is that you should get about 50% with only one crested parent... and it will be irrelevant to chick gender.

Good luck figuring it out, loads of fun! :wee
Thank you so much! I have some that are months old, I had hoped to tell by now. If the white tip wings are a factor I have about 80% males. lol. the all had white dots and we tried to go with the what was smaller, as you suggested. I'm going to figure out which of our Maran hen(s) lay disproportionate ratios. I know it's not 50-50 but there seems to be a bit of an imbalance. thank you!!! Especially about the cresting note. That helps!!!

Back
Top Bottom