Cuckoo lavender or just lavender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by laurarose, Mar 8, 2015.

1. laurarose

laurarose Out Of The Brooder

I'm wondering if anyone could help me determined whether my Pekin (Cochin bantam) chicks are lavender or cuckoo lavender.

Their parents are lavender cockerel over a lavender cuckoo hen. I tried the chicken calculator and from that it told me that the males would be cuckoo and the females plain lavender, is that correct?

They are all silvery, some do have a paler almost yellow spot on the back of their head and a similar colour on the wings.

I will try to get some good pictures later on today, they hatched yesterday and after having a brief power cut this morning I'm trying to keep them warm!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    You will have to wait until their feathers start coming in before you will see barring.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    they should be sex linked for the cuckoo gene. Males are your birds with the white/cream head spot, females solid dark head. Females will be solid lav, males will be lav barred.

The lavender down can make it difficule to see the head spot as there's not much contrast, but you'll be able to easily tell as they feather in who is cucloo and who is solid.

they'll be darling chicks!

4. laurarose

laurarose Out Of The Brooder

Well I think that means I have at least 4 males out of 11 but will need to have a good look without the red heat lamp on.
    They are so sweet, I can't stop watching them!

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by