1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Maran Chick Sexing by Leg Color?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicky Tocks, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I've just hatched out a couple of cuckoo maran chicks (eggs from my own CM flock) and somewhere I've read that the chicks with more black on their legs indicate pullets. Did I read correctly? Both of these babies have a lot of black on their legs and I'm trying to get past the fact that one of them is more silver than the other.

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I read that post as well. I thought it was more about foot color but maybe legs as well? If its true I have 3 females from my last batch and 4 males lol. Hope to hear what others say. That was written of black copper marans. I believe with the golden cuckoos the males feathers (baby fuzz) are lighter than females. Not sure if the foot/leg coloring applies to them or not.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Last ditch effort by bump for an answer.

4. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    I noticed with my Dominique chicks that one was feathering in darker than the other at about 2 weeks - turns out the lighter is a roo and the darker are pullets. I didn't think I would be able to tell that early.

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Maybe post on the marans thread under breeding and genetics, you'd prob get someone who is familiar with the cuckoo babies and how thier males and females looked as young chicks that could help. I am curious to the answer as well.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Cuckoo Marans can be sexed at hatch. Yes! Females are darker than the males. Also, they have a dot on their head ... the female's is smaller and more precise, while the male's is larger and not so crisp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by