Cuckoo maran chicks, are they roos or pullets? Updated photos!

stampntam

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Spring Grove, PA
I just got this picture from someone selling their cuckoo Maran chicks, I was told they are about 1 1/2 month old. The picture is not a good one but I thought I would give it a try anyway. What gender do you think they may be? I really want some pullets!
Thanks for looking.

Okay I have them now and here are some new pictures, I know two are roos but the one maybe a hen. What do you think, sorry to ask again

this one may be a girl

here is all three together

they are young, I don't think they are fully feathered on their backs or others were picking.

Last edited:

muddyhorse

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Bloomsdale, MO
pullets are a lot darker than cockerels. I'm wondering if it is the flash that is washing them out because the combs look pullety ( yes new word)

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
The one on the left is the only possibly pullet looking one, and it's a stretch to say that- this isn't a good fit unless you have 20+ pullets to go with 3 roos.

stampntam

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Spring Grove, PA
Today it the day I go and get these chicks, I hope to have better pics today so someone can tell me what they are. wish me luck! I figure even if they are roos I can rehome them, can't beat $9 for all three.
thanks

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
I think the one your kids (cute kid!) is holding is still leaning toward pullet, though it's very clean cuckoo coloring, almost more like barring!

It's lighter than I'm accustomed to seeing, but I still say one girl, 2 boys.

Top Bottom