Cuckoo Maran cockerel....need opinions!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 14, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Hi there, I am thinking about getting this Cuckoo marans cockerel. He is about 11.5 weeks old and I think hes pretty, but dont know a lot about the breed standard....so i need your opinions...what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. karanleaf

karanleaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    He's a nice looking boy . You would get more expert opinions go to the Marans thread. Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens Lots of knowledgeable folks there. I hang out there also to learn. [​IMG] Karan

He has a nice straight comb too

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I think he is a bit to light for my taste where are you getting him from? Get that pretty spash ameraucana in the background !

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree that he's too light to really be called a cuckoo.

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    do you think thats just his age or do you think that he might darken up some??

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

His barring isn't going to get any better over time.

7. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    nobody else with any opinions?? well im gonna get him anyways lol....hes too cute...well see how it works out...heres a video of him

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, well, he doesn't look like a pure Cuckoo Marans-maybe crossed with another color Marans? Hard to say why he is so light, but I've seen many Barred Rock crosses and he could be a cross between a Cuckoo Marans rooster and a different breed hen.

9. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    hmmmmm uh oh

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My friend Kate (helmstead) had a bunch of cockerels from her BR rooster over hens that were not pure BR or other breeds. They all had that very whitish look to them, like the barring was really washed out on the chest and hackle areas. Maybe a search from way back would locate those pics, but that was awhile back, maybe a year.

Just noticed he has yellow legs. Could be a BR cross instead. OR it could be the lighting in the picture. I better look at the video.

*** Never mind, it was the light in your pic. He has white legs, so he's probably a Cuckoo Marans cross.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by