Cuckoo Maran /Dominique cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jarcoo0153, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I have ordered some chicks and they will be here soon( July 1st); I know they will not start laying for 18-20 weeks, and I won't start hatching till next spring. I will have two roosters( RIR, CM), and many different breeds of hens and I am trying to figure out which ones to put with each rooster. But I am already trying to figure out what I might end up with if I cross a cuckoo maran rooster with a dominique hen. Would this be a good cross? Will I get Barring? and Will the eggs still be dark?

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    not sure about the leggs, but yes, the chicks will be barred but depending on the feathering rates of the dom hens, the chicks barring may be a bit blurred and give the cuckoo look.

If you put the Dom hens with the RIR roo, you will get black sexlinks

3. jarcoo0153

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    thanks for the reply! I was hoping that the barring would show through, because I really like the looks of them.
    I thought about putting the Dominique with the RIR to get sexlinks , because I am going to try to hatch some chicks next year to sell at our local farmer's market. [​IMG]

4. jarcoo0153

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Does anybody have any ideas about what the egg color of a CM X Dominique cross would be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by