Cuckoo Maran EE cross (olive eggers)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jarcoo0153, Sep 15, 2010.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I have a young flock, and my plan is to breed my cuckoo maran roo to my ee's. I would like to see pics of this cross, if anybody has done this.
    My hens are brown with a gold penciling on their necks, so one of my questions is will the chicks come out barred or multicolored, and will I end up getting olive eggs since I am putting a maran rooster to ee hens? I know that egg color is greatly influenced by the father. I know most people wanting olive eggers put a EE rooster with maran hens, but I do not have an EE rooster. [​IMG]
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jared

2. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Check out the Olive Egger thread, onthespot created a line of Barred Olive Eggers and has really progressed by leaps and bounds with her project.
    Her birds are fantastic!

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

This is mine. He was sold to me as a Blue Copper Maran, but when the puffy cheeks started being really obvious I figured out real fast what he really was. Check out the comb too.
    [​IMG]

When he was younger:
    [​IMG]

4. jarcoo0153

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Great looking bird, I'm jealous!

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:He is absolutely gorgeous!! Even DH likes him.
    But he won't lay me any pretty eggs [​IMG]

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have about fifteen varieties of poultry, but if there was a fire coming and I could only grab one flock, I think it would be my barred olive eggers, [​IMG] My apologies to the rest of my flocks! [​IMG]

7. jarcoo0153

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by