Cuckoo Maran egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rjackh, Jan 20, 2015.

1. rjackh

rjackh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    [​IMG]

My cuckoo maran's first three eggs have been this color. I was expecting much darker. What are yall seeing from yours?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Where was the bird sourced from? The dark eggs that are generally associated with these birds are seen from lines which are bred with egg color being one of the things they select for. Hatchery sourced birds, as an example, are generally bred more with straight production as a focus.

3. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    That seems unusually light even for a hatchery bird. My hatchery cuckoo lays a dark brown egg. No where near the chocolate brown you see from well bred birds but easily identifiable from all my other Brown egg layers. Is it possible they are not maran? Can you post a pic of the hen. Also they may darken up some after they lay for awhile

4. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I have a friend with a marans and her bird's first few eggs were not really dark. After 4-5 eggs they darkened up nicely.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My hatchery CMs produced slightly darker eggs, nothing like the very chocolate eggs from my breeder BCMs. Mary

6. rjackh

rjackh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    [​IMG]

This is her. Got a 4th egg today, same color.

7. 64Galaxie

64Galaxie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2014
    CT
    That's a Barred Rock my friend. Mine lay the same color too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Cuckoo Silver Marans have white legs and uneven pattern. Barred Rocks have yellow legs and even barred pattern.

She looks like a Cuckoo Silver Marans to me. Perhaps her eggs will darken up. Maybe she's a genetic throw-back. I'm sure you love her regardless.

9. 64Galaxie

64Galaxie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2014
    CT
    Cuckoo Silver Marans have white legs and uneven pattern. Barred Rocks have yellow legs and even barred pattern.

She looks like a Cuckoo Silver Marans to me. Perhaps
    Ahhh, didn't look at her barring very well

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    My two hatchery Cuckoo Marans' eggs aren't that rich, deep color of brown we hear about, either, but somewhat are darker than the eggs from my Red Sex Links and my Buff Orpington. But they have laid consistently since they started, and have stayed consistent even through our Wyoming winter with no supplemental light. They are docile, and easy to work with when I have to handle them. I'll be content with the slightly lighter egg color - they've more than earned my respect!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by