Cuckoo Maran egg question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandyp, May 15, 2010.

1. mandyp

mandyp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Margaret, Alabama
    I have never hatched any Marans. I really want Cuckoo Marans, because I've heard they are very gentle & easily handled. I've been told by different people that it is harder to hatch them in an incubator because Marans eggshells are harder than other eggs. And I've heard there are difficulties with humidity with them also. Is this true?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I had cuckoos for a long time and now I've got wheaten Marans. I've always incubated their eggs in the same incubator with my other breeds' eggs and have good hatches without doing anything special for them.

3. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    I have Cuckoo Marans and haven't had any any issues with hatching. 50-60% humidity for 21 days. I also have two broody Marans hens at the moment, one is raising her own chicks that she hatched, and one is setting on some peafowl eggs.

4. mandyp

Apr 24, 2010
    Margaret, Alabama
    I'm glad to hear that. I've really got my heart set on these birds. My grown hens are getting too old to lay & I want to get a good laying flock started that I can get my hands on. I'm tired of getting flogged by those game hens. They come running when I call, but will kick your butt if you touch their eggs.

5. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:The Black Coppers are the ones that are hard to hatch.
    As to Cuckoo personalities....mine were a bit older when we got them, so I am sure that played into things for sure. They were not gentle, nor were they easy to handle [​IMG]
    Their eggs hatched with ease though. We put the eggs under broody Cochins, and not in an incubator.

6. mandyp

Apr 24, 2010
    Margaret, Alabama
    Thanks for the info. I plan on having my hands on them alot from day one, so maybe they will like me a little. [​IMG]

7. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    hi,
    I am just hatching Blue Cooper Marans..............Was worried also in part because the eggs are so dark I could not candle them.
    Anyway....guess who is hatching first in the incubator.
    OMG, they are so beautiful.
    I am using an LP, still air and just followed the directions shared here.
    Have 10 of these in the bator.5 have hatched.4 piped.
    Hope this helps.
    Good Luck to you

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:The Black Coppers are the ones that are hard to hatch.
    As to Cuckoo personalities....mine were a bit older when we got them, so I am sure that played into things for sure. They were not gentle, nor were they easy to handle [​IMG]
    Their eggs hatched with ease though. We put the eggs under broody Cochins, and not in an incubator.

BC's aren't any harder to hatch than any other Marans egg. A good colored Marans egg is the same whether it comes from a Cuckoo, a Wheaten or a BC. My cuckoos had nice dark eggs as do my Wheatens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by