Cuckoo Maran egg??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BOs and Silkie, Jan 24, 2012.

1. BOs and Silkie

BOs and Silkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    NJ
    Is a cuckoo maran egg?. I have two Buff Orpingtons and a cuckoo maran and was wondering if this is the marans egg or one of my BOs. It would be the cuckoo marans first egg.

Both of these pics are of the same egg.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have both BO's and Maran. My Marans eggs look just like your picture. My buff's eggs are lighter brown.

3. stephanie munson

stephanie munson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    I would say yes, I have two of each breed your. Cuckoo Maran eggs will be a darker almost chocolate brown and the Buff Orpington is sorta a buff Color to cream color.[​IMG]

4. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Thats a big first egg!! My girls first eggs were small compared to that![​IMG] I'm waiting for them to get bigger. They have only been laying regularly for a couple of weeks now1

5. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Cuckoo Maran eggs are not always dark. My Marans eggs are often as light a colour as my PR eggs. I was hoping for dark brown and they are like yours. Sometimes they are even lighter depending on time of year, what Gerty ate or how she is feeling. Sometimes she is a stubborn little horror and wont give me any eggs at all !!!![​IMG]

Oesdog

6. Kittyf

Kittyf Chillin' With My Peeps

My marans lays sporadically - and won't use the nest boxes. Here's today's beauty, though. That's it on the lower right - the others are from my RIR and BR.

You can see it's a bit patchy in color, but very nice.

PS - that's a very beautiful first egg from your marans!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  7. littleluciex

littleluciex Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Wauchula
    My cuckoo just started laying and the color looks similar to the first egg u posted. I hope they get darker in time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by