Cuckoo Maran Gender Help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Layla1223, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Layla1223

Layla1223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    Hi, my Marans are 5 months old. 1 i am positive is a hen then other has just started getting bigger/redder combs and wattles. Also little bumps are forming on the back of her legs. The one I think is a rooter is closest to the camera. My Cochin is very nosey so she got is the picture. Do I have a roo? Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

She is a Hen.

3. Layla1223

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:Even though she has the bumps on her legs that look like the beginnigs of spurs? And with bigger combs and wattles? Im glad its a hen. Thanks

4. KungPaoRooster

KungPaoRooster Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Cow Hampshire
    Absolutely a hen

5. Cats Critters

Quote:Even though she has the bumps on her legs that look like the beginnigs of spurs? And with bigger combs and wattles? Im glad its a hen. Thanks

Hens can get spurs, but my 5 2 year old CMs have the little bumps too.

6. Layla1223

Apr 29, 2010
    Idaho
    You guys sure? Shes the one that is the middle bird.

7. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

I got two CM in an order last spring. One was much darker than the other. They both turned out to be hens, one light and one dark. From your pic, it's hard to tell. Wait a bit and you'll know for sure.

8. hvl25

hvl25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    she looks like my Cuckoo Maran hens. mine also have the little bumps where spurs may be. 1 has really big and red comb/wattles the other has smaller ones. but both mine are for sure hens:) HTH!

9. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    they all get bigger combs/wattles before they start laying. look at a leghorn, their combs are huge on hens. if they're getting big combs REALLY early, then its probably a rooster, but 5 MONTHS isnt early at all. i'd say its a hen. if you cant tell after 5 months...... i'd say its definately a hen..

10. Cats Critters

If it helps you see, here is a picture of one of my hens:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by