Cuckoo Maran Gender Help

Layla1223

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Idaho
Hi, my Marans are 5 months old. 1 i am positive is a hen then other has just started getting bigger/redder combs and wattles. Also little bumps are forming on the back of her legs. The one I think is a rooter is closest to the camera. My Cochin is very nosey so she got is the picture. Do I have a roo? Thanks
55925_chickenportraits_016.jpg

Quote:
Even though she has the bumps on her legs that look like the beginnigs of spurs? And with bigger combs and wattles? Im glad its a hen. Thanks

Quote:
Even though she has the bumps on her legs that look like the beginnigs of spurs? And with bigger combs and wattles? Im glad its a hen. Thanks

Hens can get spurs, but my 5 2 year old CMs have the little bumps too.

I got two CM in an order last spring. One was much darker than the other. They both turned out to be hens, one light and one dark. From your pic, it's hard to tell. Wait a bit and you'll know for sure.

she looks like my Cuckoo Maran hens. mine also have the little bumps where spurs may be. 1 has really big and red comb/wattles the other has smaller ones. but both mine are for sure hens:) HTH!

they all get bigger combs/wattles before they start laying. look at a leghorn, their combs are huge on hens. if they're getting big combs REALLY early, then its probably a rooster, but 5 MONTHS isnt early at all. i'd say its a hen. if you cant tell after 5 months...... i'd say its definately a hen..

Back
Top Bottom