Cuckoo Maran hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hbeam21, Apr 8, 2016.

1. hbeam21

hbeam21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2016
    FL
    I have two Cuckoo Maran hens that are almost six months old and still no eggs. All my other hens have been making eggs for a about a month, now. Does anyone have cuckoo marans that has or had this problem? I wonder how long before they will start.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Marans can take longer to get started.
    Typical onset of lay is 18-24 weeks for most breeds.
    How old in weeks are your birds and what other breeds?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  3. hbeam21

Apr 7, 2016
    FL
    I have Ameraucanas, Buff Orpingtons and Cuckoo Marans. They are all 24 weeks old. The other hens are starting to make bigger eggs right now. I would love to just see the color of the Marans. I hope they will be dark brown. Thanks for letting me know that they do take longer to start.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My cuckoo Marans took a forever to start laying. I believe they were somewhere around 7 months when I got my first chocolate egg. The wait was worth it. I'd ordered them (from Ideal) before I read any reviews on them. Most of the reviews were bad, saying they didn't lay dark eggs. Their eggs aren't as dark as the ones I get from my black coppers (from a breeder), but they were a lot better than expected. I've made some lovely olive eggers by crossing them with my Easter Eggers :)

5. hbeam21

Apr 7, 2016
    FL
    Thank you for the information about the Cuckoo Marans. I will wait another month and hope for the best. I hope the color will be dark.

6. hbeam21

Apr 7, 2016
    FL
    One of my Cuckoo Marans just started to lay eggs. It's a light brown egg. No dark egg here. She had another egg come out a minute later on the ground and it was a darker tan. I didn't know she could make two eggs in one day. I wonder if it was stuck. Poor girl

7. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    It is possible to have couple of eggs a day from a hen who just started laying until they get the hang of it. Congrats for the new Cuckoo Marans layer[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. hbeam21

Apr 7, 2016
    FL
    Thank you

9. hbeam21

Apr 7, 2016
    FL
    My Cuckoo Maran just started making eggs. Not as dark as I was hoping for, but it's good enough. I hope my other hen starts soon.
    [​IMG]

10. vweers

vweers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    SW Idaho
    My Cuckoo Maran took forever to start laying and then stopped during the winter and I now laying fairly consistently. Not as dark as I had hoped but still dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by