Cuckoo Maran or Barred Rock?

MESOFRUFFEH

Songster
5 Years
Sep 15, 2015
East Texas
As some of you are aware, I fail miserably at breed identification. Maybe because I was mostly raised around mutt chickens lol! Can anyone tell me if this hen is a barred rock, or a cuckoo maran? I have been calling her a barred rock, but it has come to my attention that she may very well NOT be a barred rock.

I hope these pics have enough zoom when you click on them, if not I will get better pics uploaded.

I have someone who is laying a darker brown egg, but not nearly as dark as a maran egg should be I dont think. Not a chocolate shade of brown.

There is barring in that bird too. Not all hatchery stock Barred Plymouth Rock are as well barred and do look cuckoo. If you really want to see this breed in it's best form check out some photos in the breeders section of standard bred birds (bred to the standard of perfection. Crisp thin barring and lower tail with wide body and big head.

Cuckoo is spotty white like Dominique or Marans. Marans and Orpinton are the common/popular breeds with white skin and legs. Wyandotte and Plymouth Rock are the common/popular breeds with yellow skin.

There is barring in that bird too. Not all hatchery stock Barred Plymouth Rock are as well barred and do look cuckoo. If you really want to see this breed in it's best form check out some photos in the breeders section of standard bred birds (bred to the standard of perfection. Crisp thin barring and lower tail with wide body and big head.

Cuckoo is spotty white like Dominique or Marans. Marans and Orpinton are the common/popular breeds with white skin and legs. Wyandotte and Plymouth Rock are the common/popular breeds with yellow skin.
Maybe one day I will have all this chicken breed wisdom like yall!! And maybe one day I will have a flock free of hatchery chicks!! I did not realize until I came to BYC how poor quality hatchery chicks are, but it makes sense. I think I have bought my last chicken from a feed store.... I will order hatching eggs from this point forward I believe.

Back
Top Bottom