1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Maran or Barred Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MESOFRUFFEH, Nov 17, 2015.

1. MESOFRUFFEH

MESOFRUFFEH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    As some of you are aware, I fail miserably at breed identification. Maybe because I was mostly raised around mutt chickens lol! Can anyone tell me if this hen is a barred rock, or a cuckoo maran? I have been calling her a barred rock, but it has come to my attention that she may very well NOT be a barred rock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I hope these pics have enough zoom when you click on them, if not I will get better pics uploaded.

I have someone who is laying a darker brown egg, but not nearly as dark as a maran egg should be I dont think. Not a chocolate shade of brown.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Yellow legs means it's a Barred Rock. Marans have white skin.

3. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Awesome, thank you so much. Slowly learning all these things!!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Barred Plymouth Rock

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    There is barring in that bird too. Not all hatchery stock Barred Plymouth Rock are as well barred and do look cuckoo. If you really want to see this breed in it's best form check out some photos in the breeders section of standard bred birds (bred to the standard of perfection. Crisp thin barring and lower tail with wide body and big head.

Cuckoo is spotty white like Dominique or Marans. Marans and Orpinton are the common/popular breeds with white skin and legs. Wyandotte and Plymouth Rock are the common/popular breeds with yellow skin.

6. MESOFRUFFEH

Sep 15, 2015
    East Texas
    Maybe one day I will have all this chicken breed wisdom like yall!! And maybe one day I will have a flock free of hatchery chicks!! I did not realize until I came to BYC how poor quality hatchery chicks are, but it makes sense. I think I have bought my last chicken from a feed store.... I will order hatching eggs from this point forward I believe.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Barred Rock.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on the above posts.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009