Cuckoo Maran or BR

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ScapeChicken, Dec 5, 2007.

1. ScapeChicken

ScapeChicken Out Of The Brooder

This little butterball is six weeks old today. She's supposed to be a Barred Rock pullet but her legs are grayish black. My other BR pullet has yellow legs with a splash of gray down the front of her legs. Is she actually a Cuckoo Maran? She is a pullet, correct?

[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Barred rock.

3. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

By breed standard both should have yellow legs so I'm not sure what you have there, could be a cross. Pullet from the looks of it.

4. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    I don't know the breed but yes, she is a pullet. And to add to that, she is also very nicely colared and cute.

5. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Barred rocks have the dark striping down the front of the leg. I have 3 of them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Lee, her legs are white, though. I'm wondering if she's a cross of Cuckoo Marans and Barred Rock or just a Marans pullet. Does she have a single comb-I can't see it in the picture.

7. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I agree, if the legs have just a bit of grey to the front of them it could be barred rock but the discription and the picture make me think the whole leg is dark, which rules out both those breeds.

Barred feathering is genetic dominent as is dark legs so lots of crosses would produce barred offspring. Black Orpington for instance, crossed with a barred rock could produce this.

8. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Rooster--that's some nice barring on that chicken there!

I'm sure it's a pullet...but yes, could be a cross...hard to tell...can't wait until she lays eggs!

9. rooster-red

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry, the legs looked yellow to me.

10. ScapeChicken

ScapeChicken Out Of The Brooder

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'll try to post some more pictures tomorrow. She does have a single comb and I do not see any yellow in her legs. I'll be sure to take pictures of the underside of her feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by