1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Maran or cuckoo leghorn?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TransplantedTexan, Jul 13, 2007.

1. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    I have ten of these I got in from a hatchery.
    I suspect they are cuckoo leghorns, because I ordered ten brown layers, and ten white layers. I know I have ten amber sex links. So the ambers are the brown layers.
    So, the question is, do you think these are cuckoo leghorns,
    or cuckoo marans. I think they are leghorns cause they are supposed to be white layers, but they both look so similar to me. They are 19 weeks old, but not laying yet.
    Disregard the EE hen in the first pic, I know what she is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    How can I disregard a girl so cute???

I think your barreds are leghorns because they have yellow legs where marans have dark legs.

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    hatcheries don't sell barred leghorns. What you have are barred rocks if the comb is single, dominique if its not. Leghorns ALWAYS have white ear lobes and those do not.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    My Barred Rocks have dark legs, too. And it looks like a single comb so it can't be a Dominecker. It would have to be one of the orange legged breeds.

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:Hatcheries do in fact sell Barred Leghorns. Go Check out the White Layers are Privett.

Your birds are not Marans because their legs are yellow, they seem pretty slim to be Barred Rocks so I'll go with Leghorns too.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are California grey's, similar to California whites which is a cali grey x leghorn. I had one of those before and they did lay well.

7. TransplantedTexan

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    They are very skittish, and flighty.
    They were the first to roost up in the coop, and the rafters are about 8 feet off the ground. You can't come near them, they take off.
    If that helps.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure sounds like california greys... especially with that type of personality. I'd post a pic of mine if I knew where it was...

9. TransplantedTexan

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    Barred rocks and Dominiques have brown eggs , and I think the the brown layers of my bunch are the ambers in the picture.
    So that would leave leghorns and the California grey for barred white egg layers.
    I looked at a bunch of Leghorn pics and I see what Smoky73 says, they all have white ear lobes.
    Still not sure though.
    Heres a couple more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Earlobes...Dur! [​IMG]

I forgot, Im sorry. But hatcheries DO sell Barred Leghorns,lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by