Cuckoo Maran Pullet (3 months old) watery diarreah***HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Penske, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hi All,

I noticed yesterday that one of my Cuckoo Maran pullets (12 weeks old) has watery diarreah. It looks like it might have a little mucous (?) in it and on one end of the puddle is light mint green. I read that it might just be a way of cooling the bird in hot/humid weather. (it's in the 70's and very humid-sticky)

They are kept in clean conditions, have a big run and lots of space in and out.

If it's cocci, should I put meds in the water for them all??

ALSO, the marans have a pale comb. When will they turn red??

The birds are happy and eat and drink.

Any help??

Oh, I feed them Poulin Grain Grower pellets, scratch, weeds, and veggies, and every other day yogurt mixed in some grain as a treat.

Lisa

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    If you are changing brands of food It may upset they're tummies. Mine grew out of it though.

3. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have not changed the food until this afternoon. I called Meyer Hatchery and we tried to figure it out over the phone.

I had 10# of Manna Pro medicated chick starter and Avia Charge, so I switched the food over to help prevent a further "problem" with the other pullets and added the Avia Charge to the water.

I ordered some Sul....(can't remember the name) in liquid form which I should have by Wed/Thurs.

The pullet in question also has ruffled head and neck feathers, but otherwise behaves normally.

We were thinking that it might be cocci.

Does anyone have experience with a similar situation??

Lisa

4. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    She behaves normally. She's active.

Did I overreact thinking it was cocci???

Should I do the meds when they come tomorrow???

They are all eating the medicated chick starter yesterday and today.

HELP?

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    the only way to know for sure is to have a faecal... that can distinguish between cocci and worms.

Stop the scratch .

6. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    My 10 1/2 week-old Cochin pullet did the same thing yesterday, but completely clear. I observed her and she seems absolutely normal, this morning too. Hot here too. 90s with high humidity, but 80s in the run where I have a commercial fan blowing. I don't see any panting when the fan is blowing. I was/am alarmed by the clear poo, but decided not to panic when I saw that she actually seemed great in every other way. My chicks have always been on medicated starter and plain yogurt. I give the occasional handful of weeds and grass that I've pulled from the flower bed (organic, of course). So anyway, I'm right here with you! Good luck![​IMG]

7. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    DL

Will I hurt them by giving the meds??

The reason is that we are heading off-island for a week and I don't want them to get sick while I am away. Can't get a fecal at this point.

Why not the scratch? It's a great mix of lots of seeds--not just corn.

Thanks all for your help!
    Lisa

8. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    I don't know about the meds. Have you checked her today? My cochin's poo is absolutely normal today. I know Diana's probably not on until really late tonight, and she is the authority.

9. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    She seems fine and I saw no diarreah on the dropping board this morning. This is the trouble with being new...you just don't know...

I'll go snoop around the run some more to see if I can find anything...I got a bunch of play sand to add to the run, too. It'll be easier to see.

I probably over reacted. I just want to know if I should do the meds or not before I go...

Why does everything happen right when you are about to leave on vacation??? Now one of my cats has a bit of a swollen ear--out of the blue. A house cat. I called the vet and they said
    "call Saturday if it's worse...then you can come in as and Emergency at $150!!!! We can't see you today or tomorrow--it'
    s not urgent." I'm not happy about that...but THAT'S another story. I've never had bad service like that before...

Frustrated,

Lisa

10. Penske

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    UPDATE:

I went out and spent about 2 hours in the run.

The Cuckoo Maran now has loose poo that is carmel colored, so it is thickening up a bit.

The water has Avia Charge 2000 in it and they still are eating (and loving!) the medicated Manna Pro chick starter.

I only put out a little scratch this am before I read DL's post (and it's not just corn--it has lots of seeds in it) This after noon I gave them a small handful of hulled sunflower seeds. That's it.

SO>>>>I have the Sulmet for the water. What should I do???All other poo I saw is perfect.

I hope DL reads again and replies...

Bionic chicken..hows your cochin doing?

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by