1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Maran (roo?) or Golden Campine?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by momdogz, Jun 19, 2011.

1. momdogz

momdogz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Vermont
    I ordered (among others) some Golden Campines and Cuckoo Marans. This one below I thought was a Golden Campine, but when I saw another pic on this forum of someone's Cuckoo Maran young roo it got me wondering....which is it? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's an image of what I also think is a Golden Campine:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. momdogz

Sep 28, 2008
    Vermont
    Here is what I think is a Cuckoo Maran. Correct?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Quote:Yes that is a Cuckoo Maran, I'm not sure about leg color on Campines but the green legs and coloring make me think Easter Egger on the first one.

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Easter Egger-I think girl

5. momdogz

Sep 28, 2008
    Vermont
    Ohhhh.......ok, that makes sense (I ordered Araucanas as well), but thought they didn't have tails?

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:Purebred U.S. Araucanas don't have tails but no hatcheries that I know of in the U.S. actually have Araucanas (or Ameraucanas for that matter) but, instead, they sell Easter Eggers and list them as Araucanas or Ameraucanas.

7. momdogz

Sep 28, 2008
    Vermont
    Thanks, countrygrrrl.

8. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    The second one is a Golden Campine I have two that are about that age and the first one is a most likely a EE, I have one that looks like that, only mine has a darker coloring. [​IMG]

9. momdogz

Sep 28, 2008
    Vermont
    Thanks! They all look lovely; I can't wait until they're fully feathered out.[​IMG]

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The first is an EE, and is going to be a very lovely red! It is an unfortunate reality that hatcheries stubbornly mislable their stock when it comes to these lovely birds. I have yet to run into a hatchery that correctly lables their EEs as EEs. They love to mislable them as Araucanas (rumpless birds), or Ameraucanas (muffed bird), both of which you can only get from breeders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by