1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Maran trouble walking and balancing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KeriannG, Mar 19, 2017.

1. KeriannG

KeriannG Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    Maryland
    Hello forum

I have a cuckoo maran about 5 months old who starting limping on her left leg about 10 days ago. It has gotten progressively worse and now the limp is dominate on her right leg. When standing still she seems to have trouble balancing. I purchased her at 5 weeks from McM so she was vaccinated for a few common things (don't recall specifics). She has yet to lay her first egg. I did try to check if she was egg bound but I'm a novice and don't believe I felt anything. I have been giving her baby aspirin but not sure that it is doing anything. Lastly there doesn't look like any signs of bumblefoot either. Please any suggestions are appreciated - I feel so bad for her and have no idea what to do.

Thank you
    Keri

I have a video but I can't post it. When I click on the video icon it doesn't do anything.:(

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    She could have bumble foot

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can post a video on YouTube and then post a link here. More than like, she has injured the leg, but Mareks could still a possibility. The vaccine is not 100% effective, and she could have been missed. Is she holding the bad leg up, or is she trying to walk on it. Are her toes curled under? I would start her on some poultry vitamins in her water, or crush a human vitamin B Complex tablet into a treat once a day or mix it into her water. You may want to place her in a dog crate with her own food and water for a week or two, to see if resting the leg makes it better. A vet could xray the leg for broken bones also. Sprains can be common in chickens.

4. KeriannG

May 1, 2016
    Maryland
    Thank you. I posted the link to the video.

I appreciate the advice. She is still walking on it but will hold up her right leg when standing still. She is still eating and moving but my concern is that is getting worse. Last night I found her outside the coop as she didn't go in. ???? The first time ever. I will give her some vitamins!!! Thanks

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks injured, and I can't tell if it is her leg or hip. I would limit her activity and have her rest it, but let her out a couple of times a day to excercise it. Leg injuries can take weeks to heal, and some never will. I had a hen who held her leg up and limped for 6 weeks, but she was able to get around fine and roost at night. Another hen limped for 18 months, and I finally put her down because of the pain. Let us know how she is getting along.

6. KeriannG

May 1, 2016
    Maryland
    Hi - I took Noodle to the vet today as her condition worsened. This morning she could barely move and her hurt leg was under her with her toes curled under. I really don't have any chicken vets in the area so my vet is an avion vet and has experience with chickens, but doesn't see chickens very often if at all. He said there definitely isn't any evidence of a leg or hip injury. In his opinion it is nerve related. He said the nerve is pressing against the kidney and causing her leg issues. The only thing he could recommend is putting vinegar in her water to help flush out the kidney and alleviate the pressure. I mentioned the possibility of Mareks but he wasn't that versed with it. Although she was vaccinated I understand it is still a possibility. I really could use some advice. Not sure what to do. I have her now isolated inside with food and vinegar water. If the situation doesn't improve I don't think it's a fair quality of life not being able to move and then the concern of Mareks.... any advice and thoughts will help.

I should also mention that I have 8 other chickens that have no issues. 2 others from McM purchased with noodles, and 6 BSL about 8 months older than my McM girls.

Thanks
    Keri

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mareks affects the legs by causing small tumors on the nerves. A lot of us with sick chickens have to decide how much time we can spend taking care of them. If someone is home most of the day, it helps. The second thing is to prevent them from suffering. If she eats and drinks enough and seems content, then I would watch her. If it is Mareks, she should get worse. It is a complicated disease, and they can have 1 or all 4 of the types which affect nerves, cause tumors on the skin and on organs, and the type that can affect the eyes.It helps to have a plan in store to put her don if it is needed, and possibly to get a necropsy and testing for Mareks by a poultry lab or your state vet if she dies. Keep us posted on how she is doing. Here is some reading about Mareks and some links for a necropsy;
    https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

8. KeriannG

May 1, 2016
    Maryland
    Thank you for the quick reply. I certainly am willing to take care of her as I am home during the day. My additional concern is what about my other chickens? Do I put them at significant risk being around her, that is assuming it is Mareks?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You will get differing opinions on whether or not to get her separated. If she has Mareks, the others have already been exposed and are carriers. But if she has it, she will constantly shed the virus, so many believe to separate. However, she may be lonely without the others, and she may eat better being in a crate near them in the coop. Keeping her inside may be easier for you to take care of her, though. It can be frustrating to know the right answer, but I lean toward keeping her in the coop. If it isn't Mareks she would have to be re-integrated later if she were kept separated. I just hate that you are having to deal with this, not knowing exactly what is wrong.

10. KeriannG

May 1, 2016
    Maryland
    Again thank you. I read the Mareks link you sent - very informative. I think I will let her in the coop as she will be happier. As to your point if it is Mareks then it is already present in the environment to some degree... I also saw one of your other posts on a similar issue regarding vitamin B. Am I correct that 1/4 a tablet daily in her water is the correct dosage? I promise no more questions. Sincerely appreciate the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by