Cuckoo Maran vs Copper Black Maran

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Newbie chick 30, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Newbie chick 30

Newbie chick 30 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Can anyone tell me the difference between these birds other than their outward appearance. I have the option to buy both breeds (the Black Copper is considerably more $) and wanted to know what made the Black worth more than the Cuckoo. They both lay the chocolate eggs and the Black seems so much more plain than the cuckoo in looks. Just interested in your thoughts

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If the Cuckoos are true French Cuckoos, there isn't much difference, though they likely lay lighter eggs.

If the Cuckoos are clean-legged, they are quite likely smaller and much lighter in egg color.

Otherwise, those are really the big differences, although of course some may fit to the proposed Standard more than others - Depends on how the breeder has been breeding them. I don't find Black Coppers "plain" though - The males are very colorful, the females are quite pretty if they actually have enough coppering on their neck.

3. lllory

lllory Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    I had a broody sitting on some bcm eggs, some cuckoo, eggs, and a couple other types that I had purchased. One egg didn't hatch, and jays made off with three others. I now have 2 black and white chicks. I don't know if they are bcm or cuckoo. How can I tell the difference?

Thanks,
    Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by