1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cuckoo Maran Vs SLW as flock rooster?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by carmelvalleyfam, Mar 20, 2016.

1. carmelvalleyfam

carmelvalleyfam New Egg

Mar 7, 2016
    So I have a new batch of about 15 chicks that will soon be joining my mixed flock of 15 hens (no current roo in the floCk)
    I think I have 3 (2 for sure) suspecting Roos...
    1 SLW (still not sure but i get a feelin.....)
    2 CUCKOO MARANS (1 is tiny and skiddish the other is enormous, curious and jumps on my hand when I reach towards him in a more curious way rather than aggressive both extremely bright red combs at only 6 weeks)

Never had either breed as a roo... So any thoughts on personality looks benefits, breeding (as I do have pullets of both breeds).... I've heard and seen beautiful SLW Roos but am intrigued that I could have some cuckoo Maran babies hatch and get more of their gorgeous eggs... [​IMG]
    Any thoughts or recommendations on the breeds would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. carmelvalleyfam

carmelvalleyfam New Egg

Mar 7, 2016
    Got a great answer regarding this thread in another post so no need to reply unless you'd like to of course! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by