Cuckoo Maran x White Silkie...What will I get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken0Boy, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

I am getting a Cuckoo Maran roo, and I already have a few white Silkie hens. What will the outcome of the chicks be? Will I be able to get some Cuckoo Silkies? (I love them!)like...

Cuckoo Maran Roo x white Silkie hen?

white Silkie roo x Cuckoo Maran hen?

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    No you will not get cuckoo silkies out of either of those crosses. You will wind up with a bird that had regular feathers, a small top knot, five toes, and dark skin. As for colors, that all depends on if your white is dominate or recessive white.

3. Chicken0Boy

Ok [​IMG] ...I'm sad, but how would I go about getting a Cuckoo or barred silkie chicken? Without buying the actual bird or hatching eggs. I am really wanting to get into a project and this is what I was hoping to do...lol. [​IMG]

4. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    You never will get good Cuckoo/barred Silkies because Silkies are required to have dark/black combs/wattles/skin & the barring gene removes this pigment and gives you birds with reddish combs/wattles/skin. The females will be better than the males but neither will ever be really good.
    David

5. Chicken0Boy

I am not looking for like a perfect barred/cuckoo Silkie. (I would only keep the hens...I already have a roo! [​IMG] ) I just want something like this... (BTW: This is not mine, I just wanted to show an exp. of what I am looking for.)

[​IMG]

6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:you would be much better off to start with black silkie hens. If you breed the cuckoo roo to a black silkie you will get all barred offspring. then just keep breeding back the cuckoos with the best silkie type and in 4 or so generations you should get something that looks like a hatchery quality silkie. it may be a fun project and one that was obviously done in the past but it would be much more practical to buy some cuckoo silkies.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I am sure the result would be one rather uhhh ????? awkward looking bird.

AL

8. Chicken0Boy

Quote:you would be much better off to start with black silkie hens. If you breed the cuckoo roo to a black silkie you will get all barred offspring. then just keep breeding back the cuckoos with the best silkie type and in 4 or so generations you should get something that looks like a hatchery quality silkie. it may be a fun project and one that was obviously done in the past but it would be much more practical to buy some cuckoo silkies.

Lol, I am excited but the only thing is I don't have enough room in my coop to get some black silkies hens! I think I might try next year...If I do I will post some pics! [​IMG]

9. Chicken0Boy

I just thought of this...I have a black cochin frizzle. Could I make Cuckoo/Barred Cochin Frizzles. Not for show, just for the uniqueness... any advice on how to do it if possible?

10. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:just do the same thing as you would do for silkies, breed the barred ones with the best Cochin type back to Black Cochins and you will evensually get there. I have both Black Silkies and Barred Rocks so i might do some crossbreeding. here is a chicken calcutator you can experiment with: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by