cuckoo maran ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sóley, Jan 3, 2019.

1. sóley

sóley Songster

Feb 4, 2018
    what are your thoughts on these 3, are they pure breed cuckoo Maran or mixed with barred rock maybe? I was told they where pure but I'm not sure.
    there legs are not yellow, there pink but they don't seem to me to have the same color as the cuckoo Maran, but I don't know.

I got them as chicks last summer, these pictures are of them when they where younger but they look pretty similar today, just little bigger.

the rooster is huge, biggest rooster I own right now and I own a brahma rooster to, is he supposed to be bigger then my brahma rooster?

also the hens haven't laid at al recently, I got one egg from them in beginning of December and that was the first egg from them, is this not a breed that's supposed to be dual purpose breed? shouldn't they be better egg layers then this?

Attached Files:

drumstick diva and Alexandra33 like this.
  2. sóley

sóley Songster

Feb 4, 2018
    here's the rest of the pictures

Attached Files:

3. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    I don't think that they are cuckoo marans. I think that they must be either barred rocks or dominiques.

drumstick diva likes this.
  4. sóley

sóley Songster

Feb 4, 2018
    okey I will try to take a better picture of them in day light tomorrow, this is so disappointing, because I have before gotten mixed cuckoo marans and this time I told the breeder that that happent to me and he said that he had pure ones, when they stared getting older I didn't think everything at up because the white lines are so clear and sharp and when you look at pictures online the white is more faint in them, and plus I live I Iceland so it's not easy to find a breeder :/

5. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    I have two cuckoo maran girls. The bars are definitely different and more faint on cuckoo marans than on yours. So sorry you've been having trouble finding some!

6. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Marans should have feathered legs. Although, some American Marans don't. They are supposed to have white skin though with slate or pink shanks.

7. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

Pretty sure these lovely girls are indeed Cuckoo Marans. :) They sport the classic pink legs.

Most hatchery Cuckoos I see aren't feather-legged, with the exception of specified French Marans.

Dominiques have rose combs and yellow legs, and Barred Rocks feature yellow legs. These characteristics rule out both breeds.

~Alex

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X2.....nothing about birds shown points away from CM. Only those bred to French standard are feather legged. They are definitely not rock or Dominique.

9. Hatchery-quality Cuckoo Marans.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

Alexandra33 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: