Cuckoo Maran ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Alleyoops25, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Does anyone out there have this breed ? I just seen a listing in the paper for a rooster. My duaghter is very persistant that this is a rare breed. I havent ever had one, so I am hoping you all can enlighten me as to what they are temperment wise as well as any other opinions you may have for them. I already have roosters so I am not hoping up to go out the door to get it . I did call and left a message. So I hope you can all tell me wether or not i need to worry about getting him....better you thana person desperate to get ride of a bad rooster.

2. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    It is a rare breed that lays a beautiful :)dark brown brown egg yes i said brown :ptwice it is a aboulutly beautiful egg it lays and the eggs usually win in judging compotition as well as the birds to do very well in show aswell

3. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Well good if the rooster lays a pretty egg I will go out and get him.[​IMG]

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I have marans. I would say they are a rare breed, surely. But, if the stock came from Murray McMurray (to pick on a single large hatchery) you're probably not getting the best stock to begin with. There are some great dedicated breeders out there working with both the English and French strains of Marans. One type, the Silver, is one of the more handsome roosters I've ever seen... and I saw someone's front yard with about six of them wandering around.

5. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Quote:A rare breed indeed, if the rooster is laying. [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My marans are very docile...even the roosters are very laid back. They aren't a common breed, but I really like mine. I love the dark brown eggs they lay.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  7. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    I like my Marans. In general they are a nice calm breed. If you are interested in the rooster I would go check him out to evaluate his temperament and ask where he came from.

Donna [​IMG]

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have 4 hens and they have just started to lay eggs. They are a very pretty dark brown. I don't handle my chickens very much but they know when I have a treat to come running.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  9. caddyeldorado2006

caddyeldorado2006 Out Of The Brooder

Mine arent quite coming running yet until i have a treat they just have to have.

10. ann

ann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2007
    ava,missouri
    mine aren`t laying yet but are very layed back and I really don`t handle them very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by